Research Funding for UCLA Graduate Students

In addition to Graduate Fellowships and support provided to Center/Clark Working Groups, the Center for 17th- & 18th-Century Studies provides the following funding opportunities for UCLA graduate students.

Graduate Certificate in Early Modern Studies

The Center for 17th- & 18th Century Studies and the Department of Spanish & Portuguese offer Ph.D. students in the early stages of their coursework the opportunity to earn a certificate in early modern studies. Students accepted into the program are eligible to apply for a summer mentorship. Learn more.

Graduate Student Researchers

The Center offers financial support in the form of research assistantships to several UCLA graduate students every year. Research assistants participate in research projects of core faculty members and take part in Center and Clark activities. The stipend depends upon the student’s academic level and previous experience at UCLA. A “Call for Applications” is sent out in spring for the following academic year. Please send inquiries to Jeanette LaVere:

Graduate Student Travel Grants

Graduate students at UCLA may apply to the Center for travel support for participation in professional conferences related to seventeenth- and eighteenth-century studies and Oscar Wilde. Grants are offered for up to $500 for domestic travel and up to $1,000 for international travel. Allowable expenses include conference registration, airfare, hotel, and ground transportation. Please apply well in advance of travel.

Travel Grant applications are reviewed three times during the academic year; deadlines for submission are November 15, February 15, and May 15. Download the Graduate Student Travel Grant Form, complete it, and submit to Jeanette LaVere at

Please note that funds cannot be provided in advance of travel. If your grant request is approved, you will need to submit the appropriate receipts for reimbursement immediately following completion of travel to Myrna Ortiz at Airfare receipts must include the full itinerary, seating class, cost summary, and method of payment used. If you are unable to obtain a receipt showing the method of payment, please submit a redacted credit card statement that displays your name and the airfare charge only. Hotel receipts must display daily charges, not a summary.